View Single Post
Old 26 Nov 2016, 21:57 (Ref:3691248)   #24
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I outgrew favourite drivers years ago.
Actually, sometimes I wish I could do that too. I think I would enjoy the races more if I didn't care about any driver/team/car.

Most of the times I just like drivers for some kind of emotional reason:
* I met Damon Hill at the Belgian airport when he was still racing in F3000 (1991 I think), and had a bit of chat with him. Not too difficult to root for him when he later makes it to F1.
* I usually go to the WorldSeries races in Spa with my brother and his 2 sons. We try to get there on Friday because we can hang around in the paddock and see the cars and the people working on them. If we are lucky we can take some nice pictures. Team personnel seems to be pretty relaxed then, and there aren't too many people around.
One year (2014) we were walking around, taking pictures and watching the men at work when Carlos Sainz notices us. He approaches us, and offers us to make some pictures of him and the kids (11 y.o), and the car. When done, he tells us to wait and he goes to fetch them a Red Bull cap.
It's not hard to imagine the kids (and me and my brother) want to see him do well, is it?
We were all happy when Carlos put it on pole twice and won both races that weekend.
* As for Nico Rosberg. Well, his dad was my hero when I was 7 (in 1982). I don't know exactly why anymore, but fact is I had a huge poster of him in my bedroom.
Funnily enough, I think Lewis' style would be much closer to Keke's than Nico, but hey, he's my childhood hero's son