View Single Post
Old 11 Jan 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3701783)   #226
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by godlameroso View Post
The mixed axial centrifugal compressor is very compact and efficient, and if they had a little more space to make it the size they want(could just be better intake packaging) it could deliver enough boost pressure. Their harvesting is already at a good level, the next step is implementing their version of TJI/CVCC or whatever they're doing, but Honda likes doing things their own way, so they could be doing something completely different.
No it is not....otherwise the rest of the field would be doing it, I design turbo-machinery and boosting system for a living, the efficiency has a direct relationship with turbine wheel diameter, and as Honda squashed it within the confines of the V6 engine, they by default drastically limited the OD of the turbine, I checked the theory with a colleague who has been designing turbomachinery for 40 years, an ex Rolls-Royce jet engine designer, now runs his own consultancy, and the flaw was mainly in the small turbine size and axial flow nature, all being limited by 125,000rpm, it might have worked with 200K or 300K rpm, but the rules do not allow that......and on Mclarens size I also believe they had a tiny and undersized KERS battery for "size-zero" reasons, so both mistakes compounded each other to make a real mess of the 2015 season

"Could" and "if" are big words......as the old saying goes: "if your auntie had 80ll0cks, she'd be your uncle"