View Single Post
Old 9 Jun 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1630472)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
I'm probably repeating something I've posted previously on another thread, and if not, it's something I've been thinking since the verbal 3:55 GT1 ruling was first mentioned by the ACO.

The regulations the ACO have put in place are just fine as they are. The lap times we witnessed last Sunday are proof that they ACO have got the correct balance in performance between the four classes.

If we take approximate probable pole times for next week's race we end up with gaps of almost exactly 10 seconds between each class:

LMP1 3:30
LMP2 3:40
GT1 3:50
GT2 4:00

Let the cars run to their full potential without the threat of penalties and we have a real race on our hands. I find it utterly ridiculous that the organisers of a race of this stature decided to make 'sandbagging' compulsary. Hopefully it's now been forgotten and there will be no mention of it again from the ACO this year..............
I dont know about the gap being 10 seconds between all classes, take GT1 for example. Last year the pole time was a 3:48.5, that was on race tyres with a full fuel load, with qualifying tyres and a light fuel load they could probably have done a 3:44. Now assuming that the cars are again faster this year, the pole time could be a 3:42-3:43 for GT1. Yes I know the cars have 25kg more ballast than last year and have roughly a 15bhp reduction in power but the cars will have been developed from last year and so will the tyres. The cars should be as fast as last year, if not a bit faster. IMO.

Hopefully the ACO have forgotton about the lap time limits and we will see what the cars can really do during qualifying and the race and we wont see false lap times.