Thread: IMSA: USCR 2018
View Single Post
Old 11 Apr 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3725586)   #19
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Do DPi manufacturers HAVE to provide cars to customers? Or can Mazda say "No, that's for Speedsource only" ?

I agree with Matt - I don't see VFR moving to a DPi. I think the P2s will only get better, and I think they'll eventually want to take that car to Le Mans.
Mazda has said they are not ready to sell the car yet. Ultimately, IMSA want DPi to be something akin to GT3, where the homologation is set before the season, and teams can go out and buy equal equipment. However, the homologation for DPi cars are not set yet, as Marshall Pruett's recent article reported. I bet Mazda will want to settle the spec of the car before selling it. I wonder if they would be open to a different set of engineering eyes in helping determine the best package. Whether it be in addition to Speedsource, or has been called for here - in replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia
There was talk their Riley could become a Mazda DPi, possibly even before the season ends. Might not be a competition improvement for them, though.
I thought the 55 car looked quite racey at Long Beach, where that little motor was probably out of its element. The global spec Riley could be the preferred package on short tracks over the swoopier Mazda-Riley. Of course, we have to wait for Detroit to see if that plays out.

Chris