View Single Post
Old 31 Aug 2010, 13:19 (Ref:2752707)   #78
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Lovely pics there, thanks for the links you two!!

Couple of points to consider perhaps: the series that 745 Bimmer competed in, was that entered in the main South African Saloon series that later became Super Touring?

I do recall the Sierra XR8's and Alfa's also looking fairly 'standard' compared to say, the big banger Wesbank silhouette racers which I'm sure were a separate class.. I'm guessing that this series was a kind of Group 1/Group A mongrel?

I don't think the GTV6 was ever sold with the 3-litre lump in Europe as production vehicle. IIRC it was a South African and possibly American thing? Some people over here did get hold of one or two and some people converted their 2.5 litre cars to take the engine - not sure if it was simply a case of taking one engine out and sticking the bigger one in though!

The guy who bought mine planned to do exactly that despite me politely pleading with him to leave it 'original'!
Yes, I'm pretty sure it was the local equivalent of Group 1/Group A

The 3-litre GTV seems to have been pretty much a South African-only thing, built in small numbers in South Africa- around 200 which seems to have been the magic number for homologation locally.

http://www.alfagtv6.com/gtv6_30.htm

I won't swear to it, but possibly Europe didn't get the 3-litre until the 164 and 75 were introduced around 1987