Thread: Mini & Beetle
View Single Post
Old 17 Mar 2001, 00:49 (Ref:71809)   #12
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with diabando but mainly because theyre' trying to merchandise cars that have very little to do with the originals.
I mean, who can forget the good old beatle with it's rear mounted, air cooled boxer engine that delivered modest power but seemed to last forever and ever. It has absolutely nothing to do with a car with a 1.8L turbo, water cooled engine mounted on the front. However it's supposed that somehow "The new beetle" is the "son" of the "Beetle" but they don't share the same "genes". Could it be that the beetle is not the real father?!?!?!??!?!

And though the exterior design shares some resemblance with the original beetle well.....I don't see no handle in the front, no air vents in the rear, no double exhaust and no "protruding" (does that word even exist???) rear lights.

And the story with the mini is more or less the same.

This is all just a nasty strategy by the car makes to exploit a legend's name to make more money......if you think about it.......it's like ABBA and the ABBA teens.