View Single Post
Old 27 Aug 2013, 21:35 (Ref:3294940)   #1
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2014 BTCC speculation, rumours and news

With only three meetings left for 2013 and nothing yet announced thought it would be time to start some unfounded rumours about the 2014 season.

What do people think about the calendar - given the consistency of the past few years I would expect it to remain pretty much unchanged. There do not seem to be any plans to return to Mondello Park and while most of the drivers do not seem to enjoy the long drives up to Croft or Knockhill, I'm sure the sponsors like the large Tyneside and Scottish fan bases there.

I did get a chance (at the Donington KX aftershow event) to ask Alan Gow if there were any plans to race overseas, which he categorically turned down, saying that it would do nothing to help the series and would be just an expensive vanity exercise for the drivers - so no Zandvoort or Spa rounds any time soon. However he did mention that since the NGTC vehicles have a larger fuel tank, there was potential for longer races possibly including a driver change.

Personally I cannot see a driver change being attractive for the teams - fine for factory efforts, but complex to arrange for the independents, but I wonder if a double-length, double-points race at one or two of the rounds might shake things up a bit. I would not be surprised to see one of these mooted, maybe for a circuit like Snetterton, next year, particularly if the grid goes all NGTC.