View Single Post
Old 25 Oct 2014, 10:12 (Ref:3468240)   #6
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
The story I heard was that the aero kit was more suited and designed for the kind of tracks more common in Europe than the uk, so it was more high speed and low drag, whereas in the uk you needed a more pure high downforce setup, fair comment?
IIRC, didn't Vauxhall have a similar issue with the Vectra around that time ('97 I think), in that the aero kit was done by Opel in Germany and was designed for European tracks, but simply didn't work on the UK tracks.

The engine story rings a bell with me as well- Peugeot UK's engines came from Richard Longman, then later from Mountune IIRC, so I can well believe the idea that if the French used an engine derived from the 306 Maxi rally unit, they wouldn't want an outside team or supplier with links to a rival manufacturer getting a close look at it- Apart from MSD running the Hyundai rally programme, didn't both Longman and Mountune do a fair bit of rally engine work as well as BTCC engines?