Thread: Brake Pad Wear
View Single Post
Old 31 Oct 2004, 23:23 (Ref:1141661)   #13
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Rotors are Hi-Spec 300/22mm and the calipers are Monster 4 with twin 41.2mm pistons. Coolin is not ducted, but there are large grilled vents in the bonnet (front skirt area) right in front of the inner part of the wheels. The bonnet is heavily ventilated and there is lots of airflow past the wheels.

The pads themselves are only slightly glazed but have no signs of major overheating. They have only small amounts of degradation around the edges with the leading edges having no more pitting or crumbling than the other edges of the pads. They are probably in better condition, face wise, than I used to get on my previous 1144s in my standard Jaguar calipers and discs.

Talking of which, that brings me to the subject of grooves and gassing from pads. I've only ever seen one think written on this subject and... well to be honest it sounded like one of those sales pitches for a cure for replacing lead in petrol by putting a gizmo in the fuel line... ie unsupported by any real science. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on this, but I drove motorbikes for years with smooth discs without "gassing" pads, and factory Jaguars have always raced on smooth discs. What I do know is that is that every biker knew about "disc lag" in the rain, ie that when the discs were wet the pads momentarily aquaplaned on the discs when the brakes were applied. Then grooved and cross drilled discs were invented and cured the problem immedidately. The film of water on the discs was instantly cleared into the grooves or holes and the brakes bit immediately. The downside was that in dry conditions, at any paticular instant there was less pad to disc surface contact area, so brake effeciency was actually reduced. Dunno if I'd been brainwashed, but the first time I got vented discs for my bike I noticed the slight drop in performance in the dry, but happily sacrificed that for instant stopping power in the rain!!

Don't be afraid to tell me if you know better