View Single Post
Old 2 Mar 2010, 11:07 (Ref:2643227)   #58
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM View Post
The TPR (Tony Pond Racing) DAM (David Appleby Motorsport) 4100 was a bodykit to replace the original 6R4 body panels, based around the Rover Mini series I believe and a sort of facelift for the 6R4, probably where they would have ended up had austin rover continued developing them.
The work was started at Tony Pond Racing in malmesbury (?) and finished off at David Appleby's workshops after the two companies parted.
I think that TPR was disbanded and DAM took over, seemingly overnight.
To say anything more than that would be pure gossip, so I'll leave it there.

The bodykits were really nice looking, according to DAM better airflow/cooling and lighter than the originals, I don't know if Williams were involved with thier windtunnel though, as they were with the original design. I prefer the ugly duckling original personally.
No real other differences were included with the DAM4100 kit. Although David did make a long wheelbase conversion, which was apparently very good, and I also saw at some stage when I was helping him, a double wishbone version, rather than the mcpherson struts. Not sure if that ever ran, but the fabrication was top class, it has a steel roof rather than the ally ones and some funky flanged chassis rails.

I did hear that a 4100 kit was fitted to one of Capdevilas cars and badged as a ford fiesta, as he was part owner in a ford dealership following the WRC seasons he ran in 1991-92.

Mike.
Interesting stuff. I assume that several "proper" 6R4s were converted into TPR/DAM 4100s, or were they new build? Have they been converted back to 6R4 spec now (as I'd expect them to be worth more as 6R4s!)

I thought all 4100s were about 6 inches longer in wheel base.