View Single Post
Old 14 Dec 2014, 03:20 (Ref:3484838)   #58
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The Audi 4.2/4.0T V8, 3.0T V6, and 5.0/5.2 V10 are related engines.

Audi/VW got the V6 by cutting two cylinders off the 4.2 V8, the 5.0/5.2 V10 came from adding to cylinders to the V8. The engines share the same basic designs aside from changed made to accommodate more or less cylinders.

The Audi V8 and it's related designs, IMO, does make the Ford "Modular" motor name seem like child's play; Modular refers to SOHC vs DOHC heads on the Ford V8, though they did make a 6.8 V10 for large trucks out of it.

But since the engine has to be an Audi/Lamborghini design, they'll probably use the V10 de-stroked to 5.0 liters and get an ACO waiver on the number of cylinders.

That is unless Lamborghini is planning on running a V8 engined car in the near future, and one downside of the Audi V8 design is that it's an undersquare engine to make it shorter to accommodate the quattro AWD system in Audi cars and SUVs. Hence, to boost capacity, it's easier to add cylinders or resort to forced induction to boost power and durability.

And right now, without a waiver from the ACO, Lamborghini has no engine that will suit the ACO's regs unless they use a 2.8 liter turbocharged version of the Audi 3.0 supercharged V6, or an NA version of the Audi 4.0 twin turbo V8, or the old NA 4.2 and try and bump them up to 4.5 or so liters (5.0 might be a stretch with the Audi V8 in it's current configuration, especially though a bore increase).

And, of course, rebadge it as a Lamborghini, just as Jaguar rebadged the Ford HB V8 as their own, and Mazda (with some help from Ford, Jaguar, TWR and Oreca) rebadged a Judd V10 as their own.

Personally, seeing what I've written, I'd rate a Lambo GTE/GT2 car coming out more likely than a LMP2 engine, that is without strings being pulled. And I'll also bet that if Volkswagen Group and Lamborghini want a Lambo-badged LMP2 engine, some strings will be pulled.