View Single Post
Old 18 Jul 2011, 15:40 (Ref:2928140)   #43
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the FIA is beginning to lose the plot with this.

No one wants to see anyone die, but does anyone honestly think F1 would be as popular as it is today if it was safe and risk-free?

Racing drivers know what they are doing is dangerous, and for some of them, that's even why they do it. It can seperate the drivers that drive 100% from drivers that drive at 99%.

After the above paragraph, posters will probably do the whole "fine, let's go back to the 70s then" thing at me, but that's not what I want at all. We just need some risk. Much like there's no pleasure without pain, no life without suffering....F1 will slowly become emotionless if it becomes too safe.

The whole idea of spending millions on R&D to slightly reduce the already slim chance of death of 22 drivers who are already taking risks for a living - a very large living for very small risks, I might add - seems a bit silly, particularly when there are far, far more dangerous aspects of the automotive world. I think a Formula One driver is more likely to get hurt of seriously injured when driving to the circuit in his every day roadcar. Roacars are dangerous, and they needn't be. F1 isn't even the first place to start in motor sport. Two drivers were hospitalised by moderate crashes in GT cars at Le Mans this year and you hear of far more injuries in GT cars than you do anything else. The amateurs get the raw deal with safety. FIA, spend your time and money there.