View Single Post
Old 1 Mar 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2642689)   #52
RGM
Rookie

RGM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
If Bill Barton's car (#2- DNS) was his regular 1988-season rallycar, it was D999VFW
Yes, that was Bill Bartons car, they went mad trying to get it as light as possible for the racetrack events of the Esso Super challenge, trying to get the car as light and sorted for racetrack use as Nelsons car.

I remember that we spent quite a few days at different racetracks getting the suspension optimised for the track events in the superchallenge, as Sam Nelsons "thing" was racing...

Bills Bartons car was absolutely top notch when they came with it.... and I think he won one of the races..

Nelsons car had lost a rear window air scoop in either qualifying or race 1 (if there were 2 heats I dont remember), anyway, Nelson got pole position, but could not get anywhere close to Bill in the race, probably due to the airscoop breaking off and the engine bay was not getting enough cool fresh air....
For the next event we fitted larger scoops and ducting to the air filter and the car went much better.

I think Pete Slights won the race at Silverstone.... he qualified third of forth, and I gave him our suspension settings, thats what people did in those days... and he promptly went out and won the race, Nelson had gambled on tyres and fitted intermediates, but when the track dried out he fried the tyres and Pete passed him...

Does anyone remember that terrible accident at Longleat in the first round of the superchallenge, a co-driver lost his life, but I can't remember who was driving.....

mike