View Single Post
Old 29 Jul 2017, 14:16 (Ref:3755455)   #234
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This "Grade 1" and "VIP hospitality areas" stuff raises another issue ... or the same old issue from another angle.

WEC (I think) wanted to compete with F1 as being the biggest, bestest, fastest, highest-tech ... and most prestigious.

I am not saying some incredibly swollen egos are in control there .... why bother saying it?

Not saying there was head-to-head competition ... but I think FIA wants its top series to attract as many jet-setters, as much wealth, as many VIPs ... and wanted to be able to show them that same platinum-plated, diamond-studded, kiss-every-inch-of-your-backside pandering experience.

They can't do that at Sebring or Road America. The tracks might be exceptional, but the restrooms? No ultra-VIP suites?

Add to that, the FIA is reacting with the "We are right and always have been right, and we are insulted that Porsche could not appreciate the gracious offer we extended to let them be part of our greatness ... and of Course we will not consider changing our ridiculous rules which have killed our series ... because that would raise some intimation of the vague possibility that We were not 100 percent correct in every way."

FIA needs some hard-headed businessmen in the mix, the tell the power-hungry self-important toads that they are great at sucking up and acting imperious in turn, and terrible at everything else.

To me it is obvious that unless Peugeot pulls a Toyota and rushes a couple cars to the grid, next year will be a total joke. Toyota will be the new ByKolles---will one or both cars blow up and throw away the win? and the P2s will fight it out for overall wins.

I have no faith inthe FIA will realize that hybrid, as it pertains to race cars, has nothing to do with road car and has no sensible application in racing--it is just another marketing strategy which costs way more than in returns. Fans don't care and most of the car-buying populace is entirely unaware. It was another attempt to grab "prestige"--and probably another attempt to be on par with F1.

P1-L, P2, and the GT classes ... easy, and almost guaranteed to work, seeing as it has worked well for so long.

Pretty unlikely FIA will choose that, then.