View Single Post
Old 29 Jul 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3755597)   #238
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I think COTA is a great circuit and hope the WEC sticks with it, but if not I'd prefer Road America to anywhere else.
The primary issue with COTA is that it just doesn't draw well. There are several elements to that:

1. It's still really hot in September in Texas.

2. September is also college football season, which is a particular problem as the University of Texas is located in Austin.

3. Too many other races at the track for an area that's still new to non-NASCAR motorsports.

4. PWC having a race there a couple of weeks before the WEC date doesn't help things either.

5. Poor promotion.

The attendance issue is likely to be worse — maybe even much worse — with Porsche pulling out from LMP-1H and Toyota perhaps following suit. It's just a lot less compelling of an event, and less people will come from afar, especially when there's a series that a rather good substitute to LMP-1H-less that offers 12 races a year at tracks in the US and Canada.

Of course, if there's no LMP-1H next year, the WEC is going to have attendance issues at several other races as well.

There are rumors awhile back that the WEC was close to cutting a deal with Road America. I'm presuming that WEC would want some facility upgrades. I doubt that the WEC could get that out of Road America now.

I have to agree with what somebody said above, that it's easy to imagine the WEC just not having a race in the US. The market is already well served in GTE/GTLM by IMSA. P2 is a Pro-Am class. If any of the drivers/teams had a strong desire to do a race or two in the States, there's always Daytona and Sebring.