View Single Post
Old 7 Aug 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3758004)   #250
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I was just thinking about how the European Le Mans Series was called the Le Mans Endurance Series, when all their races were 1000km/6 hours.

Looking at things now, is 6 hours really an endurance race? If we ignore LM this year, only one LMP1 car had a major reliability issue, and even that got fixed in about 5-8 minutes. Most of the LMP2 issues have been glitchy electronics (which is why ESM in IMSA switched to Motec from Cosworth at Road America, and maybe part of the reason why Cadillac still run a Bosch ECU). And I don't know of many major mechanical issues for GTE/GTLM what wasn't related to a tire failure or accident/collision damage.

So should the WEC ditch the exclusivity for 6 hour races outside of the LM24, or keep that format? We also have to remember the rumors of the GTE classes getting qualifying sprint races next season, too.

But should the WEC place more emphasis on endurance? I know that they probably don't want to make any race seem artificially more important than another just because one or two get longer races. Also, 6 hours seems to work for European (and to a lesser extent, North American) TV.

But what races should be made longer if any are, and where should maybe the WEC move to if they shuffle the schedule as far as venues?