Thread: IMSA USCC in 2016 and 2017
View Single Post
Old 2 Dec 2013, 19:35 (Ref:3339416)   #17
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Rodger, there is a difference. LMP1 and LMP2 were different classes, and the ACO never intended the LMP2s to win overall, unlike, perhaps, was the case with LMP675. Also, until they ballasted them up, the LMP2s and LMP1s were pretty darn close on lap times at most tracks.

As it is, they're trying to "equalize" P2 and DP right now. They've already given the DPs more power and downforce, adding to the DP's strength, and mitigating the P2s' strengths. They also added weight to the P2s, further eroding its particular performance advantages.

In addition, without courses like Sears Point, Lime Rock, Barber, Mid Ohio, and others, the schedule is more heavily weighted towards power than it was in 2006-08, and that applies to the schedules of both series.

The Audi R10 would have slaughtered the field at Daytona, and Kansas as well. It would have a much better chance of winning on the longer Belle Isle configuration. The R10 probably would have won at VIR. It would likely be the same story at Austin. Indianapolis would be less overwhelming than those other two rovals, but I'd still expect the power car to win there. The conclusion at Road America is obvious, unless the Audis fight each other and hand the win to somebody else, like in 2007. Just the one, long "straight" a lap was enough for the R10 at Mosport in 2007; only the transmission almost dying in the leading car allowed Penske to take the win there.

The tracks where I think the P2s would theoretically stand the best chance are Sebring, Laguna Seca, and Road Atlanta. The P2s will be further aided at Monterey, because the GTs are running separately, and therefore won't be out there, potentially breaking the P2's momentum. Belle Isle and Mosport probably won't treat them too badly either.

It's harder to say just what the balance at VIR will be like. Watkins Glen is another tricky one, because there are a number of high-speed corners, but the run out of "the Ninety", through the Esses, and on to the Innerloop is uphill. So is the run from "the Toe" to "the Heel" of "the Boot". That hands a significant advantage, at least in those stretches, to the cars with horsepower. on their side.

Austin is a new-build F1 circuit, and it tends to be the case that those don't have so many high-speed corners, unless you have a lot of downforce. So, again, power and torque will help here. It's also very difficult to negotiate traffic in the technical sections at Austin, which will further hinder the Prototypes, but moreso the P2s, because they're more a momentum car than the DPs.

I like the individual races, but I also like the championship, for giving a more empirical picture of who has done the best job over the course of the season. I loved CART, because you had to be proficient on road courses, street circuits, AND a range of ovals, in order to obtain the title.

Last edited by Purist; 2 Dec 2013 at 19:42.