View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2015, 14:41 (Ref:3491297)   #85
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Guess it didn't make national news, but certainly did locally- RAF Mildenhall air base is to close. Although 'RAF', it is a US base currently hostin a squadron of refuelling tankers. When travelling up and down the A11, you sometimes get a tanker or military cargo plane passing overhead on 'finals'.

But the thing the base will be most remembered for by many is its annual Air Fete, that sadly got canned when the 'war on terror' caused security issues everywhere. Visiting the event was like being transported across the Atlantic for a day. All the food and drink was flown in, so hot dogs for instance were authentic American size and quality! They certainly knew how to put on a show, and the crowds were always massive. Remember last visit with my late Dad, when we watched a V Bomber display (one of each type- not just a lone Vulcan!) and stood mesmerised for what seemed ages while a Sea Fury warmed up just feet away from our parking spot. Things like that you never forget!

During the day I bought a huge limited edition print for Dad, a superb painting depicting a Lightning taking off. We had a squadron of them years before at our local base, RAF Coltishall, so knew what they were all about. I now have that print proudly on a wall at home, and it still brings back memories!

Very happy days.......
Mike, it did make the news, heard it on the radio here in the Midlands.

The 'Fete' took place last year. They moved it a few years ago to RAF Feltwell just down the road. We went in 2012 in my mates ex USAF Dodge crewbus (it originally was a Mildenhall vehicle). Yep, loads of huge bbq's with all sorts on offer including turkey legs that were more Ostrich sized. Spitfire, Lancaster, Red Arrows and modern fighter planes all put on a display. Was an excellent day out.

The 2013 fete was cancelled by the base commander due to budget cuts but it didn't go down well with the men what with it being 4th July and all that. Apparently an unofficial gathering took place off base. Last year it was back on, I sent my dad there and he too had a fantastic day.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang