View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2015, 20:10 (Ref:3491415)   #91
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Guess it didn't make national news, but certainly did locally- RAF Mildenhall air base is to close. Although 'RAF', it is a US base currently hostin a squadron of refuelling tankers. When travelling up and down the A11, you sometimes get a tanker or military cargo plane passing overhead on 'finals'.

But the thing the base will be most remembered for by many is its annual Air Fete, that sadly got canned when the 'war on terror' caused security issues everywhere. Visiting the event was like being transported across the Atlantic for a day. All the food and drink was flown in, so hot dogs for instance were authentic American size and quality! They certainly knew how to put on a show, and the crowds were always massive. Remember last visit with my late Dad, when we watched a V Bomber display (one of each type- not just a lone Vulcan!) and stood mesmerised for what seemed ages while a Sea Fury warmed up just feet away from our parking spot. Things like that you never forget!

During the day I bought a huge limited edition print for Dad, a superb painting depicting a Lightning taking off. We had a squadron of them years before at our local base, RAF Coltishall, so knew what they were all about. I now have that print proudly on a wall at home, and it still brings back memories!

Very happy days.......
Happy days indeed Mike.

Also remember when they were at Wethersfield in Essex as well. My first insight into how the Americans did air shows but Mildenhall was so much larger and packed. Fantastic.

Oh, it did make national news as well.
Going to miss the air traffic coming over us here at Redgrave on their approaches to the base. Never thought they would wind mildenhall up.