View Single Post
Old 9 May 2012, 22:09 (Ref:3071941)   #15
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hi S14. Welcome to Ten-Tenths and to the joys of F1.

Some moments I'd recommend include Hungary 1997, when reigning world champion Damon Hill almost won the Hungarian Grand Prix in an Arrows. As a clip, it's arguably not much to watch and the German commentators in the clip you can find on a popular video site do not add much atmosphere, but he came within the failure of a 50p part of winning the Grand Prix. At least he won in a Jordan just over a year later at Spa. Yes, the Bridgestones were the tyres to have that day and very few teams were on them, but Damon was still on it that day like probably no-one else.

In more recent times, you have the conclusion of the 2008 championship, which if Sly Stallone had scripted it for his film, you would have said was almost as ridiculous as what actually happened in Driven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4skpT...eature=related

What about 1992 and Monaco? This was the first specific Grand Prix I remember seeing and the battle at the end was tense. Although Mansell never made it past Senna, having led most the way, there was always the thought he might just do it and the close rivalry lending it an exciting air. I was quite young at the time and remember how fun I thought it looked to race on tight streets. I remember how close Mansell came to the back of Senna in the chicane. These memories stick with you. Every fan will have their own.

Formula 1 of course goes back significantly further than that, and how about this brilliant clip of Jim Clark at Oulton Park from 1963: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ezp93fWNkw Just look at that suspension movement!

I will come back with more at a later point.

'Flat Out, Flat Broke' is a hilarious tale of motor racing woes by Perry McCarthy, who never got much of a chance to show his stuff in F1, but whose journey showed how he grafted and blagged (I do not mean that disrespectfully!) his way too the top.

Last edited by Born Racer; 9 May 2012 at 22:21.