Thread: LM24 Le Mans Trap Speeds
View Single Post
Old 6 Jul 2007, 13:29 (Ref:1956166)   #72
CUT 7
Rookie

CUT 7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
The likes of the R10 can run 3.30's consitently for 24hr's, the turbo Group C cars were closer to 3.40, same for the atmo cars as they were fragile.
yeah, undoubtably true. GP C cars were fragile.
Quarter century further on, one would hope there would be some improvement in reliability.
Still what were learning from this little debate is that GP C cars were actually quicker, although unable to sustain that over long periods.
Now if we compare GP C cars with the protos of 25 years previous, say 1990 back to 1965 we have a rather different picture.Thin tyres no aerodynamics to speak of, only the begining of rear engines(yes we were very slow to take it up after Audi proved its worth in the 30's, bizarre...)less than 100bhp a litre lumps etc
The reason why im interested in this debate is not actually to prove which cars are quicker.(though thats fun in itself...)Its immaterial.But to add to my pet theory that technoligy, not just in motorsport, changed more between my childhood & my 20's than it has since.Theres has been improvements but no real 'breakthroughs' .Well thats my pet theory anyway....