Thread: LM24 Le Mans Trap Speeds
View Single Post
Old 6 Jul 2007, 14:16 (Ref:1956226)   #73
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I wouldn't read too much into that. Firstly the numbers are unconfirmed and unofficial, but also they could probably do 370kmph if they took the wings off!

I doubt they limited the top speed to play a game.
the idea was they did not have competition serious enough to make them bother to go quicker than that. the r10 wasn't for sure limited at 326 km/h in 2006, the point was they simply did not have a reason to push harder than that (voila - with peugeot in the lineup the r10 already was the fastest car in the field), that's why i said they seem to play a game.
clearly, as JAG already mentioned, audi are running with very high downforce, which although may not seem the best choice for a track so fast as le mans, looks quite positive for their lap times.

i personally think audi ran a little less downforce in 2007. that's maybe why 1- they achieved higher top speeds (because the new track config might not be enough for that difference - for instance, pescarolos went 325 km/h in 2006 and 328 km/h in 2007, audi went 326 km/h in 2006 and 339 km/h in 2007) and 2- the cars were a bit harder to control (which some of the drivers noted this year about the r10) and so we would explain 2 of the 3 cars out by accident, which never happened to audi before. i think it's an interesting hypothesis...