Old 15 Mar 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2846134)   #15
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
There is no actual wheel to wheel racing, although cars will pass each other on track. They are not racing for position. Its more complicated than sprinting which is purely a hot lap against the clock, and you shouldn't meet another car.

For the people used to racing, my analogy of a series of knock out qualifying sessions is most apt.

Those with a fast car will pace themselves early on - fast enough to get through, but not so fast to risk the car or to reveal the true speed of their car to their competitors. Keep your powder dry as long as possible...

Those with slower cars will want to go as fast as they can to get as far as they can in the days sessions, and may knock out some faster cars caught napping.

These sessions are open pitlane format, but each driver has to slot their way into the traffic on track, and as the track rubbers in times start to drop, unless the weather interferes.

I must admit, the genre isn't my particular cup of tea, however the times these cars can do is impressive, and its brought a new audience to race circuits.

On the Modified Live ticket in 2010, I would estimate it had the fourth biggest race audience at Snetterton, after British Superbikes, BTCC and the Lotus Festival, so they are doing something right. Last year they shared the race day with the European Drifting Championship, something a lot of racers don't quite 'get' either!
Nice way to explain it andrew.

I love Time Attack, yes it may not be pure racing but watching a good range of different cars with upto 900bhp going for the best lap for me is great to watch.

Some people dont like it because they arnt racing wheel to wheel, and i can see where they are coming from. You need to know what is going on, who is on a fast lap and who is setting the pace. I find that to really learn about time attack you need to have been to more than 1 event.

The standard of the cars is up there with the best there is in british motorsport, and time attack is massive in japan and is growing here and accross europe.