View Single Post
Old 24 Sep 2015, 14:41 (Ref:3576654)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Does the average car buyer really care?
thats the multi billion dollar question right there.

hard to find direct comparisons but i feel something akin to the various scandals about the labeling of 'green' or 'organic' foods. there are numerous stories and exposes about the labels very often being mis representations but overwhelmingly people in general are still willing to pay a premium price for something that says 'organic' nor are they willing to do the research themselves.

granted a car is a far more expensive item but people also love bargains.

i own a 2014 Jetta 1.8L so im not directly affected by this, but i do wonder what effect it will have on the future resale of my car in general. i keep my car in good shape, its got the premium option package, and i service it regularly at an authorized VW dealership so i would think that the best trade-in im going to get (im not a fan of privately selling cars - dont like strangers coming to my house kind of thing) is going to be from VW provided i am buying a new car from them at the same time.

scandal or no, im happy with my car and if im getting a deal on my next one im inclined to stay within the VW family.

they have apparently hired the same law firm that represent BP in the aftermath of Deepwater Horizon so i would expect a very huge PR campaign to be a part of their defense.

im inclined to agree with mikuni that doubling down on motor sports is a good way to do this although a series which allows them to promote 'clean diesel' seems more the route they should take rather then F1 where frankly there is a good chance they will be made to look even sillier.