View Single Post
Old 24 Jan 2010, 21:15 (Ref:2618786)   #17
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Couple of thoughts/questions.

The TWR Rovers fairly demolished the field at the Brands GP supporter. I can't remember the race details but Rouse retired, so had he been challenging them prior to going out?

I mentioned something about the big class quality in 1985, in that Walkinshaw's brands win may, or may not have been aided by the lesser competition than in 1984 for example.

1986 was again short on numbers and Rouse generally had little competition in the big class. However the '86 TWR Rovers would have been bang up to date as raced in Europe, so sould have been formidable indeed.

I had forgotten that David Sears ran the Celica Supra at that GP round, I thought he had been out in a second Rouse Sierra. This clearly proved that in the right hands this car was still a competitive machine. Shame we didn't see a regular Hughes entry after the Sheene dissappointments of the previous year.
I think the biggest gain in performance of the Rover Vitesse was essentially that the Jaguar XJS was parked at the end of 1984. This allowed TWR to concentrate solely on the Vitesse which was also reflected in the ETCC results of 1985 and 1986.

Barry Sheene never really made it on four wheels, did he? Around 1989 or 1990 he among others tested the Peter Brock RS500s in anticipation of the late season endurance races of Australia, only to crash the car. Brock found another driver for the seat.

Jesper