Thread: IMSA: USCR 2018
View Single Post
Old 15 Jul 2017, 16:20 (Ref:3751482)   #457
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi7 View Post
This is purely for fun but heres my opinion on the top 9 full-time prototype drivers and why I rate them where I do. There are essentially 9 real full-time teams, so 18 total drivers. Interestingly only one team has two who are in the top 9, the 10 car. Only one team has 2 who are not in the top 9, one of the Mazdas. This is not a rip on anyone, just interesting when you consider the success of the 10 car, and maybe this is part of it.

1. Derani - Consisently outperforms anyone else in the car, excellent under pressure, with overtaking, and never makes any mistakes.
2. Cameron - Big desparity between teammate typically, does heroic 3 hour stints in the car without any drop off, generally makes very few mistakes(although can and did make one big one earlier this year which is why I put him a tad lower) This might be a tad unfair becuase he's probably asked to do more than anyone else on this list.
3. Van DerZande - Extremely quick in anything, making the Riley look more respectable at times than it should, talent always shines in the rain or mixed conditions
4. Jordan Taylor - Clearly very fast, Taylor brothers are making AXR look second rate this year in the same car, makes unnecesarry mistakes on rare occations like CTMP
5. Simpson - Makes zero mistakes, doing a lot with less, fast and consistent, good at overtaking. (people dont know how good Simpson is or his background, at one point he was an open wheel ace getting podiums in A1GP), super mature driver now
6. Ricky Taylor - very fast, taylor brother making AXR look second rate in the same car, makes unnecesarry mistakes that others on this list do not(Detroit quali) which is the only real knock on him
7. Bomaritto - Pulling speed out of the Mazda that others cannot, super consistent, zero mistakes, fast in anything he drives(open wheel, GTLM, Proto), could be higher on this list
8. Dalziel - Fast and consistent, zero mistakes, probably less truly standout performances than some of the guys at the top
9. Barbosa - Fast and consistent, super aggressive and typically comes out on top in a fight, could be higher on this list

I consider all these guys to be excellent and any can be faster than another on a given day. Guys like Derani and Cameron maybe just more consistently stand out.
I like this and it highlights how strong the driver lineups are. However, I've always though Nunez got more speed out of the mazda than bomarito.