Old 14 Jun 2011, 07:45 (Ref:2898602)   #23
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafe! View Post
All the new measures are good except for these in my opinion.

Limiting the cars to 2 seeded drivers. If a team is capable of fielding a all pro line up so be it in my opinion, every team has the same chance to do the same. Its an annoying restriction but not that bad in the end.

But the big ones for me are the introduction of a class allowing commodore cup cars and saloon cars.

Do we really want to see 15 year old cars which can be potentially termed as "bogan" racing with ferrari's? This isnt the wakefield 300....

I know that sounds very snobby and perhaps it is, but i do think the image of the event is important. This is coming from an owner of an ss commodore and a supporter of the commodore cup as a series on its own so please dont think i am against these categories, i just believe they have their place and the b12 isnt it.

The ute category is a bit iffy for me, but at least they can fit in as modern production cars available to the public and relevant to the market today.
Reasonable point but one of the biggest complaints people have had of the race is perhaps not being as inclusive as possible for all people - this is a big step to opening it up to a massive array of potential entrants / competitors who might otherwise not have the opportunity.

Saloon / Com Cup / V8 Ute cars are all pretty affordable, all comply to current safety regulations and are all quick enough that they aren't going to be miles off the pace and therefore dangers to themselves and other vehicles. In fact, The Com Cup pole time this year at Easter Bathurst was a 2:32 and a bit, which would have put them bang on the Lynton / Mackelden / Modystach M3 in this year's 12 Hour qualy. The Fastest Saloons were in the 35s and that's quicker than 130i pace.

I think part of the appeal of the race is getting as much variety as possible in there. So why not have Commodore's and Falcons and Utes out there With the exotica in the GTs?