View Single Post
Old 12 Jul 2016, 20:56 (Ref:3658599)   #503
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
GT+ and with the FIA would most likely end the Pro-Am rules.

My guess anyway.
Yeah I’d have to agree with that. If you have the WEC also becoming the GT World Championship with GT+ cars, it’s just hard to imagine there being room for GTE-AM (technically, I suppose, GT+-Am) in the WEC or Le Mans. Current GTE-Am gentlemen drivers would likely be told to either go to LMP2 or suck it up and race against the big boys in the all-pro GT+ class.

The more interesting issue is what happens to the ELMS then: Does it keep its GT class as all-pro GT+, go (back) to a GT3 pro-am class, or drop GT altogether. Any of those three paths dramatically alters the nature of ELMS.

If the WEC isn’t the GT World Championship, then things can get very "interesting." In a world fun of great races open to GT3 cars, would a world championship participate in those existing races? What about great existing races that GT+ cars aren’t likely to win overall (Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring, PLM etc.)? Or does such a championship skip existing races to run its own events? (Can’t have some local taking out the world championship leader, after all.) Is this something run by SRO to essentially compete with the ACO and IMSA? Is it something that’s used by the ACO to compete or at least limit the growth of SRO? Or would a GT world championship be something that’s competing against SRO, the ACO, and IMSA?