View Single Post
Old 1 Apr 2018, 05:19 (Ref:3812196)   #65
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
When you're looking at something on the speed of Supercars you can. It takes a lot of work, but it can, and frequently IS, done. And in fact, it's already being done - GT3 cars are built from the roadcar chassis, go just about as fast as Supercars, and are plenty safe and strong.

Is it EASY to do it? NO - anyone who claims it to be an easy thing to do is an idiot. But that does not mean it is impossible, or more expensive.

It all depends on what you're asking of the car. If we wanted DTM speeds, for example, that'd be another case entirely. But we aren't, we're talking Supercars, which run speeds on par with what it's already been proven road-based cars can safely do.
Part of the question that needs to be looked at in relation to GT3 is the cost of the cars and also repair costs. Cost of the cars is much higher than a Supercar but I honestly couldn't give you comparison repair cost estimates.

It's hard to compare the performance of DTM & Supercars as I don't think they've ever run on the same track. DTM cars have less power but are lighter and have a lot more aero. I suspect that there wouldn't be a great deal of difference, depending on the track they are both running at. I've seen an article showing a lap time 1.5 seconds quicker than a GT3 in a DTM car (both BMWs).

In reality, there's probably not a huge range of lap time difference between a GT3, DTM car and Supercar, with much of the variable in time difference being down to the nature of the track at which testing is taking place.