Thread: IMSA: USCR 2018
View Single Post
Old 23 Dec 2017, 12:05 (Ref:3788834)   #1506
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
If am I not wrong, mandatory gears ratios have been introduced at detroit, and a cadillac dpi won however.
Yes, but that's when the other cars started getting more reliably clsoe to them.

Quote:
I explain better what I mean for "bop can't kill torque".
I know what you meant. They may have been road cars, but I've tuned enough turbos in my time.

Quote:
In a NA you can use air restrictors, but you just will obtain a torque reduction at high-end rpm. Low-mid rpm torque release will remain almost untouched. That's what I mean for "bop can't kill torque".
This is why you bop by gear ratios when dealing with the torque of a big NA V8 engine. The torque may still be there, but the gear ratios prevent it from being the massive advantage it was before. As we saw, when the gearing for the Caddys was changed, they lost much of their corner exit advantage, and it only took a couple more much smaller swings to get things to the point where non-Caddys were winning.

Prior to the gearing change, IMSA was taking MASSIVE(comparatively) swings at the Caddys. After it, they were rather tiny.

Quote:
That's why to me NA max displacement should be set to 5.5L. This way torque release should be in the 650Nm range, like nissan and HPD V6 motors.
The 5.5 liter engine in the Corvette C7.R is believed to produce ~550 lbs-ft(or ~700 nm) of torque when run unrestricted(unrestricted it's said to be capable of ~700 horsepower, as well). So if you want to bring it down via displacement limits, you need to go a bit further down.

GM knows what they're doing with V8s.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 23 Dec 2017 at 12:13.