View Single Post
Old 19 Apr 2014, 19:18 (Ref:3395187)   #37
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Okay I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this since the main idea of this thread wasn't about GTE and it'a sub categories specifically, but whatever:

Regarding GTE-PRO and AM - most people know where I stand with the primary concept of it but let's not go there - instead let's look at the current situation... one of the yearly commentary highlights for me has been at Le Mans where the Eurosport gang attempts to explain the differences between classes, which goes along the lines of "well in PRO you have professionals and amateurs, and in AM you have professionals and amateurs too so..."

With the recent rule change over car eglibility in AM (models don't have to be year old anymore, to Larbre's frustration I'm sure) what we have is

GTE-PRO can have factory teams and private teams
GTE-AM can have factory teams (why...) and private teams
GTE-PRO can have professional drivers and amateur drivers
GTE-AM can have professional drivers and amateur drivers
GTE-PRO can have new GTE models and old GTE models
GTE-AM can have new GTE models and old GTE models
GTE-PRO uses BoP to adjust the field
GTE-AM uses BoP to adjust the field

How on Earth do you explain that to anybody????

So in practice the ONLY difference is:
- In AM you need one bronze + bronze/silver driver
- PRO BoP is different from AM BoP (funny... even in SRO GT3 formulae it tends to be the same)

Do people still like the concept? Again, I'm not going into my personal displeasure over the "meaningless sub classes awarding for mediocrity" again, but generally speaking it is kinda silly looking concept on paper too.