View Single Post
Old 30 Jul 2001, 20:05 (Ref:123974)   #10
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Floid2000,

Was in the middle of typing a reply, last night, when my computer was knocked off line. I lost everything, and it was too late to begin.
again.

To answer your question, I have several hours in a Winston Cup car. Several years ago, I drove a late-model stock car at local tracks around the Atlanta area. The owner of the car that I drove was approached by a driver that had previously been active, and had actually won a race. He wished to attempt a comeback. He, and the owner had a hand-shake agreement. Owner purchased cars, engines, etc. and had a team assembled, only to learn that the driver decided to drive for another team, owner left holding the bag. I talked him into letting me drive the car. We decided to enter the July race at Daytona. This was shortly after the March Atlanta race. We practiced the car at Daytona, Atlanta, (original configuration, pre-Bruton Smith era) Charlotte, Rockingham, and Darlington. For brevity, I will not go into all of the details of the various tests, suffice it to say, that we ran out of money, due to several rule changes, and owner was forced to sell the team, lack of funds will kill a racing effort faster than you can blink your eyes.

As to my remark, there being vast differences between Winston Cup, and IROC cars, which is why I assume that you are questioning my racing "credentials," no, I have not driven an IROC car, but I have talked to several drivers that have, among them, Mark Martin, the late Dale Earnhardt, and Dave Marcis, who probally knows IROC cars better than any living person on the face of the earth, considering the fact that he tests them, sets them up, etc. for the IROC series, and to the man, they have said that the two types of cars have very little in common! I don't know why, but for some strange reason, I would kind of guess that these individuals might know just a little bit about the differences, and similarities between the two, considering that they A, drive Winston Cup cars for a living, and B, have extensive experience in IROC cars, as well, not to mention that these three, alone, have more than 70 years of combined racing experience!

Now, since we are so intent on interrogation about racing experience, perhaps you would like to enlighten us with your experience in a Winston Cup car!