View Single Post
Old 9 Sep 2017, 10:50 (Ref:3765629)   #67
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yeah, they always go for complicated solutions instead of going for the obviously simple ones
Actually my point above is... what people think are obvious solutions do not work. Example of general outcomes are...

1. Destroys the commercial viability of a series.
2. Is not viewed as the pinnacle of the sport.
2. There is "real racing", but the racing is far from close and by extension is not entertaining for the broader audience.

To be more specific...

A very simple set of rules might have very little in the way of technical regulations (aka "Run what ya brung!"). This would result in largest budget wins and little or no close racing. Eventually those who can't afford to win leaves and the series dies or is highly unstable and volatile (not commercial viable) and gravitates toward a small niche series.

On the other end of the spectrum, is a set of simple technical regulations but implemented via fully spec equipment with zero development allowed. Throw in a budget cap as well just to make sure money is not spent somewhere. Anyone could participate and win. Racing should be very close. But why would anyone consider that as the pinnacle of Motorsports? The series would not attract important teams (i.e. Ferrari,etc.) and by extension top drivers. It might exist as a niche sport (i.e. International race of champions)

IMHO, F1 (Pinnacle sport with top teams and drivers) needs to sit somewhere in the middle of those scenarios... which would require careful and difficult crafting of regulations (by my definition not simple or easy).

Richard