View Single Post
Old 30 Jul 2017, 12:17 (Ref:3755919)   #81
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
You have the key to this in there - it's the difference between a motorsport programme being a profit centre (as an F1 engine supply deal or two could be) or a cost centre. There is huge pressure on every VAG company to apply that measure to every programme.
Which shows an unfortunate truth. Sportscar racing as we know it is a niche sport in the larger world of things. It is tiny compared to NASCAR and Formula 1. Real sad. I'm not sure why sportscar racing is not as "mainstream" as it should be with the machinery that it has to offer. Porsche 919, Porsche 911 RSR, Corvette C7R, Ford GT, Mercedes AMG. All incredible machines to watch!

Why it does not appeal to even mainstream racing fans I don't know. I find sportscar racing much more fun to watch than the 2 series I mentioned above. Also I tried watching the New York FE race and it was just weird. The only thing cool about it was that the driver line up had mostly guys who have driven sportscars.

With all of the big Fast and Furious movies that came out it could be a natural fit for sportscar racing cars to get involved in it. Maybe we could see Vin Diesel drive a Corvette C7R or a Ford GT. IMSA would be in the best position to take advantage of that. They should contact those directors.

With all of the manufacturer involvement over the years, MARKETING has still been the single biggest failure of sportscar racing as a whole in the past 3 decades.