Thread: F1 in schools
View Single Post
Old 7 Mar 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2646809)   #28
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendy View Post
And motorsport needn't be that expensive either (ok maybe if you want to do well) but for others it can be really cheap. Stupid education system!
If we seriously believe that I'm afraid we are out of touch with the real world. Think about entry level sports for youngsters for a minute. Just to pluck a few sports out of the air:

Football or Rugby, to have a go all a youngster needs is a ball and a few mates, the cost really is virtually nothing. For a very little he can compete in a whole season of his local kids league. Not much travelling as it is pretty local for most youngsters.

Tennis, find a mate who wants to play and hire a court for an hour for a fiver, that's two and a half quid each. Most kids have suitable clothes and shoes already, night have to buy a racquet and a few balls but basic kit is very cheap now, cheaper than ever in fact.

Bowls, nothing needed except the price of hire of the woods and green indoors or out, hired by the hour for a small sum shared by all who are playing (not the woods I mean the cost of the green is shared.

Ice skating, comes up quite expensive at seven pounds including skate hire but this is for a session lasting several hours.

Cheapest way I have found to get involved with motor sport is arrive and drive Karting at about one pound per minute.

Let's suppose we are a kid with a fiver to spend on sport, we can have:

Virtually Unlimited football or Rugby.
One hours tennis.
Maybe an hour or so playing bowls.
Pays for most of a session of ice skating, maybe a couple of hours.

Or a whole five minutes Karting.

My life is massively enriched by my interest in motorsport and I actively encourage others to get involved but lets not kid ourselves it is not, never has been and probably never will be a cheap sport that everyone can get involved in.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant or is overly UK centric, as I say we have a great sport but we shouldn't kid ourselves about it.