View Single Post
Old 13 Jul 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3750933)   #73
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
From a sporting perspective no, but from a viewer perspective it's huge. F1 is a sport that requires a large amount of viewers to maintain its current level. If those viewers are watching something, and something happens on the screen, and you're later told that either didn't happen, or it's irrelevant, that's actually a massive issue.
thats a fair point. this is a timed event so timing/starts must matter and if the optics dont match the data or steward rulings there is a potential for a loss of confidence which could have serious knock on effects (although controversy doesnt seem to be a reason for people to stop watching F1).

the trouble with absolute rules though is that it leaves no room for common sense interpretations and that also turns people off...as do penalties. particularly, those for micro transgressions.

to flip it around, if Bottas got a penalty then i imagine this conversation would be about Whiting and how F1 sucks because it has way too many rules.

i cant say definitively where the line should be drawn (its subjective and flowing), but for me i think i would have been more irritated at F1 if Bottas took a penalty for this.

its all hindsight of course, but a Bottas penalty probably would have ruined this race with SV running off into the distance but i guess you never know...it could have made what was a boring race a great one!