View Single Post
Old 8 Sep 2017, 15:43 (Ref:3765463)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
...so why not give more engineering/design leeway to lower budgeted teams so maybe they can bring more radical designs to the track and close (not eliminate) the gap amd create the random odd result potentially?
some what similar to Max Mosely's voluntary budget cap suggestion from a few years back...teams that were willing to stay below the voluntary cap would be rewarded with greater technical freedom. of course the top teams were obviously against this.

iirc, i liked the idea at the time but given the past few years with increasing control going to the engine manus and the ability to buy more and more components from said engine supplier i do wonder how many of the smaller teams would be willing to venture out and take chances with new ideas.

Force India, for example, has to work under a lower budget but it still might end up being cheaper and more effective if they continued as is and bought their engines and additional bits from Merc...thus yielding a car similar/same design solutions (all be it not as advanced) as that of the merc factory team.

personal opinion, i am not adverse to a two tiered F1...actually i think we already have that so why not organize it in a more interesting way then the straight customer car/low cost solution path the sport is currently on.