View Single Post
Old 4 Oct 2021, 05:20 (Ref:4076890)   #5728
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
With the exception of not having the Indy 500. There was nothing wrong with CART as it was in its last authentic season, which for me was 2002.

I disagree with Teretonga's point about Reynard dominating the field and hampering Lola. It's a part of the competition, which is the point. The fluctuation of form is a part of the charm, not a detraction.

Lola had effectively a "captive market" in the 90s, Reynard began and usurped them, before Lola got back to competitiveness then picking off the series with da Matta.

Cost rise because it contributes to winning. The ideal way of life would be to diminish the value of winning, like in motorbikes. You can spend however much you want in MotoGP for instance, but it doesn't create a comparable advantage like it does in cars, and keeps the variables of authentic motor racing.

Indycar as it currently is maybe the best way for the time, it's not ideal overall. The more the merrier, as it increases the competition, tension, focus points.

There were 9 winners in 17 races in 95. So the current regs are that remarkable.
I never said Reynard hampered Lola.
My point was that there were two companies building chassis but when one of them (Lola) slipped up that created an issue for the Lola teams. It meant they weren't competitive unless they went out and bought Reynard's, which a few of them did.
Yes, its a part of competition but the effect on teams with marginal balance sheets, raising sponsorship to underwrite their operations, its a result that it took some time for some drivers and teams to recover from.
Indycar isn't actually that strong financially even now.

Having one spec chassis takes that oddball consideration out of the way.
and it leaves us with a highly competitive series focused on the performance of engines and drivers alone..

And while its not ideal from a competitive point of view, the present situation is working well with a slowly increasing public profile.
In an age where everything, even NASCAR and WEC, is being narrowed down to limited variety in chassis construction, the present situation is giving Indycar and opportunity to recover some of it's previous prestige.