View Single Post
Old 24 Oct 2023, 15:15 (Ref:4182804)   #2314
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
This is true, but it wasn't as clean cut as that was it? ORECA just happened to have a head start on the new LMP2 regulations, and then the way the regulations are written means nobody is allowed to adjust their product apart from 1 set of heavily regulated "joker" upgrades.
I'll add my voice to this - as much as shouting at the wind about post-2017 LMP2 is pointless now, it should never be forgotten that it was a rather blatant and successful attempt by the ACO to give Oreca an unassailable advantage, which led to the pseudo-spec chassis class LMP2 currently is. It was called out as such at the time as well (a rather tense RLM interview with Hugues de Chaunac comes to mind).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipR View Post
Another change to LMP2 in the last few years is the professionalism of the teams - lookat lmp2 in 2016 and now - most teams could run Hypercar programmes nowadays and even the small ones have evolved rapidly into top teams i.e interuropol, Panis racing etc. The more professional is getting the more the teams will push for the best package.
I think this will be the justification given for the inevitable move towards one chassis post-2026 as well. Hopefully the LMDh considerations will level the playing field for LMP2 somewhat.