Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by teej
Al - two sides to the coin; no overtaking on the straights is a bit of a joke,
Apologies, Al, I meant in the corners, not on the straights. I read your post right then typed mine wrong! I've had a lot of instances of being held up by cars through corners - from the end of the straight to the esses at snetterton is a no-overtaking zone and can be a little frustrating if you are stuck behind something that can't do corners. (MX5s in the wet at Oulton with novice drivers springs to mind as well)

A lot of the guys I know who do trackdays have cars just for the track - not porsches or the like, but little things like 106 rallyes, astra gte's, second cars that they can make more track-focused without having to worry too much about how they are on everyday roads. They have a little money, and could probably stretch to more to go racing, but for the little they have trackdays are much better value. A couple of them are very good drivers, but for whatever reason don't have the interest in going racing, which i think is a shame. I sold my road car for a track car, and the track car for a road saloon race car. It may be the stupidest thing I ever do, tho!

Having ridden quite often with a guy who races, and often with people who don't, the difference is phenomenal. Not necessarily in speed, but in how comfortable they are in close proximity to other cars; that is something that only comes with competition, and is the difference between trackdayers and racers, i think.