View Single Post
Old 14 Sep 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2955458)   #41
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Hi guys - I'm sure Hindy will be along at some point to give the pro's view but in the meantime I can help you with some of the very reasonable points raised here:

The view from the box in 'The Wing' is awful - you can only see a short section of the start finish straight and nothing of the pitlane without standing on a stool! I've had better views from commentary positions which aren't even trackside!

You should also take into consideration that Paul Truswell at Becketts was commentating simultaneously on two different sections of the circuit - Roughly from Turn 2 through to T 5 and from Becketts round to Stowe. I thought he was superb all weekend (as usual)

Nick was doing a sterling job in what some have correctly observed was a long and crowded pitlane. I'm sure he'd have loved GT to be there but as some have correctly recalled Graham had more important issues to deal with.

Ref rundowns - I know John tried a couple of times to run down the order only to be stymied by yet another on track incident! I remember he did get back to it though - Mainly as he gave me the international sign language to stfu on at least one occasion!

On style of commentary - This was an unusually multi-platform broadcast - Radio, internet, circuit PA and live video stream - It's tough catering for the needs and sensitivities of all of that lot simultaneously! My guess on the delay front is that some of those were losing time in the translation!

On GTE - The only car we were really unsure about on fuel was the #51, for the rest it was a case of them having to pit - but when? We certainly didn't ignore the battles in either GTE class in the final phase of the race (the last hour).

Ref the damage on #1 - see above for the view - If we didn't see it out of the window and we didn't see it on TV then we didn't see it! I actually thought John spotted it pretty quickly.

Alll in all I think it's worth considering that there may welll never have been an endurance race that had wider coverage than this one - All the platforms serviced by RLM plus Eurosport and live text from my lot and others too.

(Oh and yes some of the guests were excellent - in particular Jonny Cocker, Ant Davidson and Desire Wilson)