View Single Post
Old 14 Sep 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2955546)   #43
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
My problem was that I didnt manage to pick up the circuit radio commentary so I tuned in via Radio Le Mans on my phone. This meant that the commentary was about 20 seconds behind the action which once I had got used to it I could cope with.

I personally feel that the team spend a little too much time chatting and do not seen willing to break off a conversation when something significant happens on track.

To me their principal role it to call the race and the interviews and general chat are to fill in during the quieter periods of the race.

I also wonder how informative it would be to a spectator new to Sportscars as the commentary seems to assume that the listener has a basic knowledge of the sport and the class system.

Having said that I could not do their job and I have been a fan long enough to remember Le Mans before RLM and all this is really nit picking compared to the situation as it was.
Listening to RLM on a telephone stream IS MURDER...take it from me...I tried to interview with them one night via a mobile...the delay was too much so that would be a prob for ya big time

Radio Le Mans ethos is based around a simple format, its on Hindy's Bio on the website (well it was)
"Imagine a load of Motorsport Fans sitting round a table down the pub discussing Motorsport.....we're the table"

Its that simple. With regard to the idea that they dont break off, I tend to dissagree, many a time John has been mid flight in some convo at Le Mans and broke away because something has happened in the pits or out on the track even as far as "now lets go down to the pits and catch up with....OHHH THERES A NEW LEADER IN GT2....NEW LEADER IN GT2 NOW"

I do take your point that they do assume a certain amount of knowledge, but so do most commentators on any sport (when was the last time a big football match started on Sky with a powerpoint presentation of the offside rule?) The only time I have ever known that happen was when the superbowl came to the UK and they had to devote ten minutes to what the rules were ("They are down with their first at ten!"...WTF?)

I dont see their principle role to call the race....i really dont, their principle role is to inform and to also entertain, to lift an event as such, if you wanted someone to just call a race you would not have Hindy and Radio Le Mans.

As you say its only nit picking and believe me there are times that I get frustrated in Le Mans when I have not heard about a GT car that Im following etc, but credit where its due, 55 starters, four races within one takes some doing, stream it out via the commentary/internet/FM broadcast and the job gets mamouth AND provide updates to Midweek motorsport forum etc....hats off to em

Ive always been a fan and as well as that, they helped to transform an idea that started on here for an alternative six hour race...into something very very special.....so yes...I am Bias