View Single Post
Old 28 Jul 2007, 08:45 (Ref:1975186)   #48
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
OK, had a look through the results on Frank de Jong's website, and this is a rough overview of M3 activity in the 1987 WTCC...
  • Schnitzer- 2 cars full season, plus an occasional third for either the 'Ladies team' of Annette Meeuvissen/Mercedes Stermitz, or Grice/Moreno/Siller at Spa. Schnitzer also appeared from time to time in the ETCC
  • Linder- 2 cars for a part-season- their main focus was the ETCC
  • CiBiEmme- 2 cars for a full season, they also did 'double duty' in the ETCC
  • Bigazzi- one car for the full season
  • Alpina- one car appeared on occasions- 3 races I think, their main programme was the DTM
These were all factory-backed entries, and apart from Alpina's car were all registered for WTCC points (I think- I've got a suspicion the second-string CiBiEmme car wasn't...)

There were a number of privateer cars which appeared in a race or two- none ran a full season
  • Garage Mirabeau (F)- 1 car at Spa
  • Kuelker SC Team (HY). Josef Cserkuti's car, famously the only M3 not DQ'd at Monza, did the first two races, then returned at Brno. According to a contemporary Hungarian magazine interview on Frank's site, Cserkuti then concentrated on the European Hillclimb Championship
  • MK Motorsport (D)- 1 car at Spa
  • AMK Motorsport (CZ)- a single car at about 3 races
  • Racing Services International- 2 cars at Nurburgring ,Spa and Brno
  • Schwaben Motorsport (D) Thomas von Lowis of Menar- I think he mainly ran the DTM, but did the 'Ring and TT, then made the trip down under for Calder & Wellington
  • Garage du Bac (F)- 1 car at Dijon and Spa
  • JMS Racing (F)- 1 car Dijon & Spa
  • Vogelsang Racing/Valier Motorsport (D)- 1 car at the 'Ring. This was another DTM entry
  • Prodrive (GB). Frank Sytner's BTCC car appeared at the TT
  • Heribert Werginz (A)- single car at the 'Ring, Brno and TT
  • Milos Bychl (CZ) 1 car at the 'Ring
  • Jens Winther/Castrol Denmark (DK) Longtime Danish sportscar privateer Winther ran an M3 at the TT
  • Autobeaurex? (J) one car at Fuji for Will Hoy/Haruto Yanagida
The Australian/NZ cars, seen at Bathurst, Wellington & Calder
  • JPS Team BMW (AUS)- 2 new cars at Bathurst and Calder. One of the original cars also went to Bathurst as a spare. Tony Longhurst also shared an M3 with Altfrid Heger at Wellington. Was this a JPS car, one of the German cars, or a local NZ entry?
  • Archibald Motorsport/Cardinal Network (NZ)- 1 ex-JPS car at Bathurst & Wellington
  • John Sax (NZ)- 1 car at Wellington
There may well be others, and some teams certainly used a number of different chassis across the season, particularly at the Australian races- according to the 1987 Bathurst annual, the BMW Motorsport entries were:
  • Schnitzer- 2 regular WTCC cars
  • BMW Motorsport- 2 cars (Meeuvissen/Stermitz and Juan Manuel Fangio III/Gary Brabham) run by Schnitzer, using cars borrowed from Linder and Zakspeed- (The Fangio/Brabham car had a CiBiEmme decal on the bootlid though....)
  • CiBiEmme- 1 car. This is described as a spare chassis, only raced at the 'Ring, which had been sold to Mark Petch just before Bathurst
  • Bigazzi- 1 car, described as a new chassis, replacing the one rolled by Grouillard in qualifying for the TT (if you've ever seen pics of the Bigazzi car at the TT, it was repaired using body panels presumably supplied by Prodrive, leaving it in a mixture of regular Bigazzi colours and the Rothmans colours carried on Prodrive's rally M3s... http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-09-06-043.jpg )
I'll do the ETCC next....

Last edited by KA; 28 Jul 2007 at 08:48.