View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3061457)   #15
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having spent several years actively scuba diving (as opposed to inactively, which I suppose is why I'm still here... anyway) I can assure you that running with a cylinder of compressed gas on your back isn't easy. I appreciate that dive kit weighs a lot more than a fire extinguisher so the effects are exaggerated, but most divers try to spend as little time and effort as possible fully kitted up out of the water simply because it's so bloody cumbersome to move very far*

Carrying extinguishers by hand, by the handle, keeps the centre of mass low and means you are far less likely to topple or overbalance. It also means that they can be deployed the moment you get near enough to the fire.

*My rig when I finished regularly diving weighed almost 40kg when complete. I could hardly stand up, let alone move very far wearing it!