View Single Post
Old 15 Sep 2004, 06:47 (Ref:1096977)   #24
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Philippe

I'll believe Peter on race results (race times, average speeds, list of retirement reasons, etc) as he apparantly spent much time in his local library researching the race results from newspapers. However, I'll only believe him and Paul on chassis numbers if I know their source. I understand that Peter wasn't at the races so he didn't read it on a chassis plate. Newspaper reports aren't going to mention chassis numbers and I have access to most, if not all, the same magazine reports he'd have had. So where's it from? As we're always saying on TNF, you're only as good as your sources.

When I saw the results of Ian Hebblethwaite's research into the SA McLarens, which he did by talking to owners and going to visit surviving cars, it showed the F1 Register book to be seriously wrong. When I read the new book I ignored the '005' reference.

The only thing that will genuinely move the story forward is going to chat to the Domingos or to someone closely involved with Blignaut's team.

Mysterious DNAs are the bane of any motor racing historian's life. If they DNA, then did they even exist? I spent ages trying to trace Frank Opalka's DNA-ing McKee Mk 8 earlier in the year only for Frank to kindly email me to say he never took delivery and can't be certain it was ever built.

Best regards

Allen