View Single Post
Old 10 Sep 2016, 12:21 (Ref:3671407)   #86
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
...and If I remember the Civic Turer came to existence because Honda marketing insisted not because Team Dynamics really though that it would be better, as proof it was scrapped after just one year
Your memory fails you or you maybe are unaware of the facts.

The Tourer was Team Dynamics idea, Matt Neal spoke about it in an interview. The thinking was that it would keep Honda interested in the partnership, i.e. continue to provide cash/equipment (I have no idea on the actual details of the commercial arrangements between Dynamics and Honda). To say the car wasn't successful is to fail to take any notice of the results achieved, especially by Gordon Shedden. It was a lean season by Dynamics standards, but Dynamics were pretty much all conquering the previous seasons.

Type R the following season was an obvious choice - near identical product to the previously very successful hatch and of course a model Honda were looking to promote.

New shape Civic (only a matter of time - whether 2017 or 2018) has potential for RWD by following the BMR path - take a 4WD road car and convert to RWD as per the rules.

But as noted current Type R has plenty of life on the race track and in the showroom.