View Single Post
Old 27 Nov 2016, 18:32 (Ref:3691500)   #78
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting comments, particularly from those who smell some sort of conspiracy between Vettel, Rosberg and anyone not named Hamilton to ensure NR won the WDC.

I am not a big fan of either Merc driver. That said, Nico clearly got tired of finishing second in the WDC and did what he needed to personally and professionally to win it. Is Lewis the more talented of the two? Clearly. Is talent all that you need to win the WDC? No. Some supremely talented drivers have competed in F1 and not even gotten a sniff of the level of success needed. Champions find that extra 1%. Maybe Lewis will learn something from this.

As far as MB asking Lewis to pedal faster, they pay the bills, don't they? They provide the cars that are the class of the field and that takes a lot of time, commitment and dosh. Watching your investment go more and more slowly is in my view not only aggravating but also insulting to all those who worked their tails off to build the fastest car on the grid.

A second part to this is Lewis' admiration for Senna. Senna had no problems running people off the track in part because he thought God had mandated that he would win. Ask Alain Prost about that...In any event had Nico caught Lewis how aggressive might Lewis have been in "defending" the position? The Nightmare Scenario for MB would have been some variation of Lewis punting Nico into the tullies ala Senna and sashaying off to Win Triumphantly or taking them both out and making the team look like a bunch of prats.

Should be a fun season next year particularly if MB is no longer at the top of the Technological Heap.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.