View Single Post
Old 27 Nov 2016, 18:44 (Ref:3691502)   #80
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
No, not for me. You ask the other half of your driver investment to go faster. They professed that they wouldn't interfere in the contest between their two drivers, and then sought to do exactly that, in the knowledge that they would be handing it to Nico on a plate. For my money, Lewis did exactly what he should have done.
You do?? Why does the responsibility fall on Nico? He's ahead in the WDC. He has his car in second. Strategically speaking going for the race win is actually a mistake and in view of the willingness on both drivers part to punt the other asking Nico to pick up the pace whilst leaving Lewis out there to scheme his way around the track independently seems a bit unfair.

Going a bit further, which WDC of the past would you imagine slowing down as a last ditch effort to get others to do the work for you? Michael? Either Hill? Stewart? Senna? Prost? Mansell?Fangio? Clark?

My bottom line is that after the management spends $400 per season to put together a car the expectation of the driver is to peddle it as fast as they can and as an employee of said organization to mind the request to "race" rather than to find some way to get someone else to race Nico.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.