View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2007, 12:32 (Ref:1810339)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank de Jong
I haven't read the article, so just a few facts.
Ford already entered the ETCC in 1970, they learned the way to do it and were near unbeatable in 1971-1972.
If anyone was napping it was BMW; the lightweight CSL racecar was ready at the start of 1972 (Broadspeed (!) built it) but the car was only homologated at the start of 1973.

Comparing the price of the street version brings you nowhere - the racecars had different engines, gear boxes, brakes and even the rear suspension of the Capri was unique. The Capri had a slightly better aerodynamics, the BMW a better base engine - until 1974.
Good points and very interesting Frank. I think what I'm getting at is the bias shown against the Ford when, if anything, it can be said that they did a better job in the period I mention. Of course after '75 the BMW went on on IMSA, Group 5 et al but in its purest sense the competition between these two was honours even. And brilliant it was too.