View Single Post
Old 1 Mar 2024, 18:05 (Ref:4199178)   #197
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Perhaps our politicians should think about how we become more self sufficient in many critical areas?
Indeed Andy.

However, they would then need to find ways to fund the redevelopment of British Industry and all of the infrastructure that would entail.

Construction does not seem to be a strong point right now yet still has resource constraints due to a lack of trained (or even untrained) manpower.

I'm looking forward to the plans that the politicians have for instantly fixing the alleged housing crisis by building 1.5 million new homes at the same time as creating the new infrastructure for industry and "fixing" all of the old properties to make them Energy Efficient a part of the Net Zero drive.

I think that last country that achieved anything like that by itself was probably the USA in the 40s and 50s.

The background events in those times were, I suppose, somewhat similar to those we have now. Interstingly the US was able to not only do itself a lot of wealth-generating good but help Japan and Germany to recover their mojo at the same time.

Whether they can do it again in the current circumstances remains to be seen.

The UK, having disestablished most of the core industries that might make possible some sort of concept for self sufficient industrial development, does not seem to be in a good position, especially no politically, to develop a self-help regime.

Sadly.